In support of its mission of preserving land and open space, The Oblong Land Conservancy believes it is important for community members to know and appreciate the natural resources in the area.
The OLC is launching a program called "First Saturdays" which will offer an organized outdoor activity the first Saturday of every month, generally at 1pm. The program will run from April-October (may be extended if it works out well). Please visit the events page for more event details.
Below is a list of proposed dates and activities:
- 4/3 Naturalist-led hike in the Pawling Nature Preserve (co-sponsored by FrOGS and PNR) (free)
- 5/1 Naturalist-led visit to Stone Church and Nellie Hill Preserve (free)
- 6/5 FrOGS canoe trip on the Great Swamp ($22 Adult Member, $11 Child: 6 to 14 yrs, $26 Adult Non-member, $16 Child non-member)
- 7/3 Bald eagle hike at Nuclear Lake or Little Whaley Lake (free)
- 8/7 Fly-fishing clinic at Lakeside Park by the Angler's Den (free)
- 9/4 Kayak on in the Great Swamp with Great Blue Outfitters ($20)
- 10/2 Mountain bike outing at Cranberry Mountain with Pawling Cycle (free)
Please join us for the inaugural event on Saturday, 4/3, 1-3pm at one of Pawling's natural gems -the Pawling Nature Preserve- which will be co-sponsored by FrOGS and the Pawling Nature Preserve.
The hike will be be led by Mark Chipkin (Chairman of the Pawling Nature Preserve), Dr. Jim Utter (Chairman of FROGS and Associate Professor of Environmental Sciences School of Natural and Social Sciences - SUNY Purchase) and Judy Moberg (naturalist) and . We will explore the abundant wildlife found at the PNR and especially look at vernal pools and salamanders. The hike will be moderately strenuous and about 2 miles and is not suitable for those under 12 years old. Please call Judy Moberg at 845-878-7740 to make reservations.